Monday, January 26, 2009

Remembering: New Year's Eve

On New Year's Eve 2008, Brian was away in Washington doing a New Year's Eve show and I had taken the day off from work, so Zoe and I spent the day together. It was kind of a girly-girl day.

We went to have her 3-year-old pictures taken, spent most of the day shopping, and we ate out. I let her play a lot at the mall's play areas, let her ride the mall's train several times, let her watch movies on my iphone while I shopped.


It was a long day and she sure was tired when I put her to bed. Apparently, she had a hard time winding down and called out for me about an hour later. I went to see what was wrong and she told me that she needed to sit in the rocking chair, which is Zoe-speak for I want to be cuddled.

So I picked her up and sat her on my lap in the rocking chair. She cuddled up with me and laid her head on my chest as I touched my cheek to her forehead. We sat there in the darkness while we rocked. I gently stroked her hair and rubbed her back.

I whispered to her and asked if she had fun today. She nodded her head. I asked her if she had fun taking pictures and she nodded yes. I asked her if she had fun riding the train, she nodded yes. I asked her if she had fun shopping, she nodded yes.

She then looked up at me and whispered in her sweet little voice, "Did you have fun with me today?"

Yes, baby, I did!
So there I sat holding on to my sweet, sweet baby wishing we could stay like this forever.

I still get teary-eyed thinking of that moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment